Tuesday, 16 November 2010

LCD Soundsystem @ MAGNA Centre, Sheffield 13/11/10

Like many fans, when this was announced I found myself asking the question; Why the MAGNA Centre? I mean, not only is it quite out of the way in Rotherham but it is also an educational science centre during the day and is rarely used as a venue. I found myself asking why even more when its location led to me missing not only Shit Robot (genius name by the way) but also Hot Chip. However, upon arriving at the MAGNA it almost felt like it was made for LCD Soundsystem. The futuristic architecture and lights seemed more than fitting for LCD's robots-with-hearts sound. The set up of the main room was also fantastic with the stage being really so high everyone could see even though it was a massive room.

When James Murphy and co rolled on to the stage fifteen minutes late, the MAGNA's secret weapon was finally revealed. The sound was absolutely incredible. Everything from the thumping beats of opener Dance Yrself Clean to the cowbell of Daft Punk are Playing at My House sounded huge. It might not be expected by them, as they're generally seen as a studio band, but LCD Soundsystem are really tight live and have a massive amount of energy. In the live setting, they somehow make their Low-era-Bowie influenced Electro Funk even more danceble. This energy didn't rub on to certain areas of the crowd but I suppose that's to be expected from a co-headline tour and some people being their to see Hot Chip. The setlist tonight came as quite a surprise as there was no Losing My Edge and nothing off Sound of Silver other than All My Friends. It was quite dissapointing to have them only play one song off their arguably best album but it felt fitting for a last ever UK tour to focus on the old and the new. This was especially the case when it meant them pulling out awesome older songs like Yeah and Movement. I feel that their usual set closer New York, I Love You But You're Bringing Me Down would have been a much better finisher than a verison Home with some of Hot Chip but oh well.

So basically a fantastic venue, fantastic sound and a fantastic band. Being the second last show on their last ever UK tour, it felt a more than fitting farewell and they will be missed loads.

No comments:

Post a Comment